Friday, October 25, 2013

Nuggets of Information!


I am so grateful to all of you that read my blog! Thank you. It is nice to know that people are reading. Thank you for your questions in emails, facebook messages, and letters. I love to answer them. I apologize, because I’ve noticed a theme…you all want to know what my daily life is like and I haven’t told you! Mainly because I don’t have a “typical” day yet, even so, I’ll try to flush out the details I do have for you!

I live at Sekoly Baiboly Amboaloboka in Fianaranstoa. The words look more difficult to pronounce than they actually are, I promise. Maybe I’ll make a youtube video pronouncing them. Sekoly (school) Baiboly (Bible) Amboaloboka is a Bible school for young women ages 16-30. Although, I’m pretty sure this year our oldest student is 24. There are about fifty young women who live here from October- June. There are two tracks here you can take, the fist is a 9-month program. These students focus solely on taking care of rabbits, chickens, pigs, and bees, gardening, cook, and this year learning English from me. The second track is an 18-month program. These students learn to cook, sew by hand and with a sewing machine, knit, crochet, as well as taking care of the animals and gardening. They also take courses on Martin Luther, ethics, theology, psychology, counseling, and again English from me. They are certainly busy!

I teach here on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday afternoons. Teaching English in a language you don’t know very well has its challenges but somehow the students are learning! Two of the best things I have taught are, “You are beautiful” and what a hug is. Now every morning after devotion I am greeted with, “Hello, Tatie (Aunt) Molly. You are beautiful. ” and a hug. I’m sure it is no surprise to anyone, but I love these young ladies. They have quickly become little sisters to me. After I finish class students rush to my side to help me put away my things, then one carries my bag, another my water bottle. I have no idea how it happens but I instantly have at least 6 of them hanging on to me ready to walk me to my house so I can put away my things and come back out to hang out with them. I love it.

Next, there is Sema Fi, the deaf school. I have about a 45-minute walk to the school. It has an absolutely breath taking view as it sits up really high. There are again, about 50 students who live at the school from October-June. These students range from about 5 years old to 18 or maybe a little older. They have 4 teachers and I think 2 maybe more young adults that live with the students and help take care of them. The students are very eager to sign with me so I am quickly trying to learn enough to be able to understand and sign with them. Right now, I am going there on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Finally, SALT, the seminary. My role here has yet to take shape but I will most likely be teaching the wives English and leading a conversation club with the Pastors. Most of the Pastors have already learned English and just need help with pronunciation and understanding within the context of a conversation. SALT, like Sema Fi is about a 45-minute walk.

Hopefully this answers a few more questions you have. If not, ask away and I will do my best to answer them. Thank you again for reading. I really do appreciate the support, love, and prayers for you all back home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment